Andaman and Nicobar Islands is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful places to visit in the country. The name Andaman is presumed to have been derived from the Hindu God Hanuman, known as ‘Handuman’ to the Malays. Andaman is known for its pristine beaches, underwater wonders, impressive ecosystem, lush forests, nesting beaches for turtles and so much more. It is the ideal place for a break from the bustle of the city. Andaman is a must visit for both adventure seekers and nature lovers!
DELICACIES OF ANDAMAN:
- Andaman is a paradise for seafood lovers. It is known for its seafood, coconut spices, rice, Kulchas and so much more!
Some must try food here are- fish curry, Macher jol. Coconut prawn curry, and the squid fry, along with a lot of other yummy seafood.
- If you are a vegetarian, you should try the chilli curry, veg barbeques, etc. You have a variety of cuisine in Andaman, so you can try everything out!
Don’t forget to drink the natural and refreshing coconut water here.
- When you are in Port Blair some of the best restaurants you can eat at are:
- Seafood Delights Andaman, Perfect for seafood lovers.
- Vegan Creek Pure Veg Restaurant is one of the best restaurants for vegetarians.
- Andaman Boat club, for some safe water sports and good food.
- When in Havelock, some of the best places to eat at are:
- Full moon cafe is perfect for both Seafood and Veg food.
- Something Different – A Beachside Cafe for Fast food.
FINDING STAY IN ANDAMAN:
- In Port Blair, you have a variety of options, Homestays, resorts, guesthouses, hotels, you have it all. You can find affordable and good homestays and resorts with a view of the bay.
- Munjoh Island hotel, Rainforest homestay, Sea hills Hotels and resorts, and welcomhotel, ITC, are some of the options if you don’t mind spending.
- For good budget hotels in Port Blair, you can stay at Hotel Blue bridges home, Park inn, Hotel Marina manor or a good guesthouse of your choice.
- In Havelock you have plenty of Beach resorts, and Budget hotels that you can stay at.
- Some luxurious options in Havelock are, Taj exotica, Jalakara, Havelock Island beach resort, and silver sand beach resort.
- For a budget stay, El dorado beach resort, Radhakrishna resort, Pano eco resort, or Oyo rooms, are the perfect options.
PLACES TO VISIT IN ANDAMAN:
DAY 1: PORT BLAIR:
Port Blair, the capital of the Andaman and Nicobar islands, is a famous tourist location famous for its picturesque view and environment. It is known for its cultural diversity and historical significance.
- Anthropological museum- On the first day, you can visit the anthropological museum, which is one of the best museums in Andaman. It is a historical delight, located at the Middle Point in Port Blair. The museum was established in the year 1975, at Phoenix Bay. It has an informative portrait of the local community of tribes who are also considered as one of the oldest tribes in the world. In this museum, you can explore the life of the Jarawas, the Sentinelese, the Onges, the Nicobarese, and the Shompens.
- Exhibits at the museum: Few of the amazing exhibits you can find in the museum are the Shamanic sculptures, the Jarawa chest guard, handicrafts, arts and crafts, photographs, utensils, ornaments, clothing, implements, and tools that date back to the era of the prominence of the Native tribes. and a lot more.
- Corbyn’s cove beach- This popular yet secluded beach is located six kilometers away from the town. In the early evening, you can proceed to the Corbyn’s Cove beach, which is perfect for sunset lovers.
- The Crescent shaped coconut palm fringed Corbyn’s Cove is ideal for swimming, surfing & sunbathing. Coastal drive to this beach is awesome, a stretch of around 4 km with an open sea is a sight to experience. Take pit stops during this ride to click pictures and to explore the beauty.
- The Snake Island, situated just across the beach, is popular for scuba diving. With pleasant blue sea water and lush green coconut palms, the beach allows visitors to relax alongside and enjoy several water sports available on the shore of the beach.
- Cellular Jail- After this, you can visit the cellular jail, also called ‘Kala Pani’, which is a bewildering National memorial and a major part of the Indian freedom struggle. This prison was built in the 20th century and is considered to be one of the scariest prisons ever to be constructed by the colonizers. The Indian rebels that were against the colonial rule were sent to this jail. It was almost impossible for the freedom fighters to escape since it was located in an inaccessible and remote area. The prisoners were made to do torturous tasks until they got tired, after which they were hanged to death. It closed finally in 1947 after India gained Independence and was then turned into a memorial. This place will remind you of our fallen national heroes and their sacrifices that contributed to the Independence we have today.
- The light and sound show: The light and sound show here is something that cannot be missed. It tells us the story of the history of the prison along with the heroics of the Indian Freedom struggle. The timings for the show are- 6:00 p.m. (Hindi) and 7:15 p.m. (English).
DAY 2: PORT BLAIR TO HAVELOCK ISLAND:
Since Havelock Island and Port Blair are separated by water, ferry services are a convenient option. Havelock or Swaraj Dweep, the most visited island in Andaman, is a wonderland for travel enthusiasts. “Known for its relaxed and dense mangroves, blue water, exotic corals, and beautiful serene beaches, it is a hit among tourists.” Havelock Island is located 70 km north of Port Blair.
- Radhanagar Beach- Radhanagar beach, or Beach No. 7, is one of the best beaches in Asia and the world. It is one of the most famous tourist attractions on the Island. Here you can explore this white sand beach and bask in the beauty of this natural wonder. Radhanagar beach has been given the title of the best beach in Asia and the 7th best beach in the world by Time Magazine in 2004. The beach was also included in the Top 25 beaches in Asia by TripAdvisor’s Travellers Choice Awards in 2016. It is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and a must-visit. You can see the tropical jungle from the beach and the sights are magical!
DAY 3: HAVELOCK ISLAND:
- Kalapathar Beach- The Kalapathar Beach, locally known as Beach No.7. is situated in a corner of Havelock. It is a long stretch with black rocks. This beautiful blue beach is lined with thick greenery and is amazingly calm.
- Elephant Beach- Elephant beach is one of the most famous beaches to visit for some underwater fun. It is heaven for water sports lovers! It has some of the world’s top-rated Scuba Diving spots. The other water sports that are available here are- Sea walking, Kayaking, Parasailing, Jet skiing, snorkelling, swimming, and diving. This amazing beach is located in between the tropical forest and is covered with greenery from all sides. It has a rich coral reef structure and vast underwater marine life. If you want to see more of the underwater world, sea walking here is a must!
BEST TIME TO TRAVEL TO ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS:
The best time to visit Andaman is between October and May as the weather is pleasant and perfect for water sports, travelling, etc.
OTHER PLACES TO VISIT IN ANDAMAN AND NICOBAR ISLANDS:
If you have more time to spare, cover these places as well and tick some checkboxes from the list:
- Baratang Island
- Neil Island
- Ross Island
- The great Nicobar Island
It is recommended to book in advance, and travel via Chennai to Andaman since the tickets are a lot cheaper.
Here are the 5 best things to do in Andaman for a perfect vacation:
5 Best Things To Do In Andaman | Plan The Unplanned
Already delighted and excited to go to this beautiful place? Here is an Andaman tour package at an affordable price:
Andaman Islands Backpacking Tour | Plan The Unplanned