Kayaking on an India river is perhaps the most thrilling experience that anyone can ask for! While you must have always thought of it as an exotic water sport – we are here you to take you for a wilderness ride on a Kayak.
During this trip, you will get to sail and cover a total distance of 28 km on a kayak. From one side of the Palimar Dam where the water of Arabian Sea gushes into the Shambhavi River in Karnataka, you’ll sail up to the other end of the dam where camps will be set up. Surrounded by the Western Ghats, the camping site is amidst nature, by the banks of the river.
Once the dam gets narrow and you slowly enter the river, you’ll realize that this place is nature’s best kept secret and it’s one of those virgin destinations of South India that aren’t explored by many. The beautiful landscape can only be explored through the waterway and kayaking here would be the most adventurous ride!
Alert: Other treks happening this Weekend!!!
|TREK DATES||27th-29th Oct 2017|
|TREK LEVEL||Easy – Moderate|
|DAY 0||Leave from Bangalore at 9:00 PM|
DAY 0 – Depart from Bangalore
We’ll board the bus from Bangalore and start our journey towards Palimar Dam, covering a distance of nearly 390 km. The overnight journey will be fun-filled as you’ll get to know your new travel mates and share your thoughts about the upcoming kayak ride.
DAY 1 – Wilderness Ride on a Kayak on Shambhavi
We’ll reach and get started with kayaking by 7.30 am. Be prepared – we’ll have to cover a distance of 14 km and kayak for nearly 7 – 9 hours approximately. (Of course, with regular intervals!)
We’ll make a stop at around 10 am for some quick snack, before we begin to paddle again.The next stop would be around 1 pm for lunch. You can take some time to relax and explore the banks of the River Shambhavi – one of the many rivers that flow from the Western Ghats into the Arabian Sea. The natural surrounding will absolutely take you to a different world altogether – a world that would appear to be magical!
By 4 pm, we shall reach our camping site, where you can drop your luggage and rush to jump into the cool river water to soothe your senses. After a long ride, taking a bath in the river would be the perfect experience.
Get back to the campsite by 6 pm, as we’ll organize for a bonfire with some live music – it’s gonna be a fun party night amidst nature! Gaze at the stars, listen to the rumbling of the river and enjoy the delicious barbecued food that’ll be served.
And later, you can get a good sleep!
We’ll start a bit early – around 6’o clock in the morning. You’ll have to keep sailing till we make our first stop at around 8.30 am, for breakfast. We shall aim to reach the town of Mulki by 1 pm, and have lunch there.
Then we’ll all board the bus and start our journey for Bangalore. Of course, you’ll get to relax your muscles and take a quick nap on the bus, if you feel like.Subscribe to Event Updates
For booking enquiry, you can call us at 9035182699, 9428909952
Following are your pickup/drop locations. You could let us know which would be appropriate to you before the trek in advance. Also note, the drop points would be the same as pick up.
- Fabindia – House No. 54, 17th Main Road, Opp. Madivala Masjid, Koramangala 2nd Block, Sidharata Colony, Santhosapuram, Koramangala 2nd Block, Koramangala, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- New Shanti Sagar Hotel – Old Airport Road, Domlur, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- KTM Mekhri Circle – Mekhri Circle Junction, Raj Mahal Vilas Extension, Armane Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Kindly note the timings for the above pickups, would be updated to you a day before the trek.
We request you to kindly carry the following. It’s better to be prepared rather than not prepared.
- Yourself (That’s most important – after all you paid us!)
- Rucksack (Just stuff your things in!)
- 2 water bottle – 1 litre each (Dehydration is much needed.)
- Torch/Headlamp (It’ll be really dark at night.)
- Sunglasses and sunscreen lotion
- Portable charger (You might just want to keep your phone aside, but then, selfies toh banta hai!)
- Deodorant (You shouldn’t stink!)
- Paytm balance (Thanks to Demonetization)
- Money (You’ll not need it, but do carry some!)
- Energy Food ( Chocolate bars, Electrolyte drinks – Glucon-D, etc ) (You can carry some extra – we don’t mind to share!)
- Raincoat / Bag cover (Of course, you don’t want your rucksack to get all wet!)
- An extra pair of clothes, socks, undergarments, T-Shirt (And we don’t want you to walk in drenched clothes!)
- Flip-flops (Just to laze around the campsite.)
- First Aid Kit (along with personal medicine as per your requirement)
- Toilet kit (Not much would be required – just your toothbrush would do)
- Towel (Oh! We believe in saving water. Let’s ditch bathing for two days!)
I don’t know swimming, can I go for Kayaking?
Absolutely, you will be provided a life jacket. It is impossible to drown in water with the life jacket.
How tiring is kayaking?
Kayaking is similar to trekking. We keep moving at a constant pace and take break time to time. Moving in water is more efficient than land. To cover the same distance, kayaking takes less energy than trekking. It is an excellent workout for the upper body.
Can anyone do kayaking?
Kayaking can be done by anyone, irrespective of age and gender.
Where will the journey start?
The journey will start at Mulki. We kayak in river Shambhavi to a village called Inna. Next day we kayak back to Mulki.
Is it safe to kayak in River Shambhavi?
River Shambhavi is very calm throughout the year. There is no white water, which makes it perfect to get started with kayaking.
Where is River Shambhavi located?
River Shambhavi starts from western ghats and travels around 60 km to finally meet the Arabian sea in Mulki(near Mangalore).
How is the mobile network coverage in the area?
All major mobile network works throughout the route including Reliance JIO.