Of course, you must be wondering how this name happened?! Well, it’s called Top Station trek since it involves trekking up to the highest altitude station in this region. The hills of Kurangani, located at a distance from Munnar, welcome each trekker into their thick jungles, unexplored by the loops of the conventional traveling circuit. You’ll walk down the trail and cross tea estates and coffee plantations, apart from gusty waterfalls and picturesque valleys from Kurangani to the Top Station.
It’s an overnight journey from Bangalore and you would be speechless to see that such a gorgeous abode exists, about which you barely knew. The local tribes have made this place home, and you won’t see many people on this trail. That’s one of the best things for those who wish to ditch the crowd! You might be able to relate to this place as films like ‘Alagar Samiyin Kutharai’, ‘Kumki’ and the more recent ‘Myna’ have been shot around the region.
There are two different routes on this trail. One leads you to Top Station en route Central Station while the other takes you on an 8,000 feet ascent to Kolukumalai – the world’s tallest standing tea estate that lies in this region. If you start at Kurangani Village, it is a 12-kilometer trek to Top Station (through Central Station). With this trail, you also have the option of starting from Munnar in Kerala. Walk through the densely wooded area toward the grassland expanse of Kurangani Hills until you finally reach the border of Theni. The trek down this trail would be an absolutely thrilling experience.
Alert: Other treks happening this Weekend!!!
|DISTANCE||19-21 km (to & fro)|
|DAY 0||Leave from Bangalore at 8:00 PM|
Day 0 – Depart for Munnar
Leave from Bangalore at around 8.00 PM
Day 1 – Trek to Top Station Munnar and Camping
Reach the Base Camp, freshen up and have a hearty breakfast before you set out for the journey finally.
We shall proceed towards the Kurangani Hills and start our trek for Top Station. The trail will keep you mesmerized. We shall stop by the waterfalls to chill and relax for a while. Later we shall trek up to the peak and have lunch.
On reaching Top Station, we shall set our camps and the evening will be a fun filled with bonfire and music.
Day 2 – Downhill trek to Kurangani
We plan to wake up early and see the sunrise, before having the breakfast at the campsite. Then we’ll do the downhill trek to Kurangani. At around 2 PM, we shall board the bus and head out for Bangalore.
Subscribe to Event Updates
For booking enquiry, you can call us at: 9035182699, 7760710005, 9428909952
There is a direct bus between Bangalore and Theni(Tamil Nadu). You could check out the buses on https://www.redbus.in/
From Theni, hire a private vehicle to reach Kurangani by 7:00 AM.
The nearest airport is at Madurai, 101 km from Kurangani.
Distance (477 km) ==> Bangalore – Hosur – Krishnagiri – Salem – Dindigul – Theni – Bodi – Kurangani
Following are your pickup/drop locations. You could let us know which would be appropriate to you before the trek in advance. Also note, the drop points would be the same as pick up.
- M Chinnaswamy Stadium Bus Stop – Queens Rd, Shivaji Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Fabindia – House No. 54, 17th Main Road, Opp. Madivala Masjid, Koramangala 2nd Block, Sidharata Colony, Santhosapuram, Koramangala 2nd Block, Koramangala, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- New Shanti Sagar Hotel – Old Airport Road, Domlur, Bengaluru, Karnataka.
Kindly note the timings for the above pickups, would be updated to you a day before the trek.
We request you to kindly carry the following. It’s better to be prepared rather than not prepared.
- Yourself (That’s most important – after all you paid us!)
- Rucksack (Just stuff your things in!)
- 2 water bottle – 1 litre each (Hydration is much needed.)
- Torch/Headlamp (It’ll be really dark at night.)
- Portable charger (You might just want to keep your phone aside, but then, selfies toh banta hai!)
- Deodorant (You shouldn’t stink!)
- Paytm balance (Thanks to Demonetization)
- Money (You’ll not need it, but do carry some!)
- Energy Food ( Chocolate bars, Electrolyte drinks – Glucon-D, etc ) (You can carry some extra – we don’t mind to share!)
- Raincoat / Bag cover (Of course, you don’t want your rucksack to get all wet!)
- An extra pair of clothes, socks, undergarments, T-Shirt (And we don’t want you to walk in drenched clothes!)
- Flip-flops (Just to laze around the campsite.)
- First Aid Kit (along with personal medicine as per your requirement)
- Toilet kit (Not much would be required – just your toothbrush would do)
- Towel (Oh! We believe in saving water. Let’s ditch bathing for two days!)